Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Don't Block Your Blessings

Focus on the positive and the good in life and it keeps these things flowing into our lives...When we become negative, complain, moan and groan, we set up road blocks where nothing gets through and more negativity ensues...In this day and age where adults and children alike are constantly bombarded with the "next best thing" that needs to be purchased and consumed it is difficult if you don't center yourself and know not to be ovewhelmed by such marketing strategies to stay in a state of peace and satisfaction, of gratitude and thankfulness for the things we have in life and not always material things but the truly important things in life like love and relationships, family and all basic provisions such as food and shelter.....I try to impart to my son, who is six (my daughter is yet to young but she will get the same lessons) that we should always be thankful for what we have because not all people with whom we share this globe are afforded the same luxuries as food, shelter, clothing and certainly not air conditioning, electricity, toys etc....and so the other day when my son seemed to be dissatisfied with what he had, I sat down with him and we made a list of all the things that he is thankful for and I explained to him that when he is ever feeling dissatisfied that we will refer to his list to see how truly blessed he is for the wonderful things that he has in his life....We adults can benefit from this very same exercise so that we are always reminding ourselves how blessed we really are and how we should not act like spoiled brats or petulant children in life and realize that what we have is much more than those in other parts of our city, our country, and around the globe....and that happiness comes from within and not from external things...I want my children to learn this early in life so they are not constantly seeking for the next external stimilus in attempt to create some temporary happiness that is sure to expire when the next best thing is advertised or the buzz of other children tout some new something that is sure to bring excitement and joy when in fact it is just a constant set-up for dissapointment because the fun is not long-lasting and the price paid will not be refunded when the excitement dies....I want to find my happiness from within and be thankful and grateful for what I have and not constantly long for things that I have not.....I want to focus on the positive things in my life for myself and to set the right example for my children....Live life like people are watching! Because people are watching, both big and little whether you know it or not, but live life in a real and authentic manner doing what you feel is right for you and do it with a smile on your face....it takes more energy to be miserable and unhappy than it does to be happy, blissful and joyful! Be thankful and be blessed!

2 comments:

Hope4Grace said...

What a great article! Thanks for the visit, and I must return the compliment, I love your blog. With permission I would love to add to my list!

It's so true that we can block our blessings. I'm trying so hard to live my life "walking on faith"!

Unknown said...

Hello Gabrielle, thanks for the visit and comment. I really feel happy for those uplifting and encouraging words you leave for me.
May God bless you with wondrous blessings. Keep in touch,ok. Really nice to know someone that care. :) Regards. May